Dress to impress for interview
How to dress and conduct yourself during an interview?
How well you fare in interview depends on how you present yourself. An interview can be stressful for you considering the fact that you have very limited interview experience. Therefore, you must keep in mind some very important points before and while attending an interview
1. Research the company before hand:
Before attending an interview, you must always do some research about your prospective employer and the job role for which you are being interviewed. By doing this, you will be able to answer well when interviewers ask you questions like: ‘What do you know about our company?’ What are our products? Who are our competitors? Etc
2. Arrive early at the venue:
Being punctual is something you should practise in everyday life as it will help you always. You must always arrive fifteen minutes early at the interview venue. It helps you settle down and relax.
3. Be confident:
When you are called inside the interview room, walk straight, with a slight smile on your face. Greet the interviewer by giving a firm handshake. Look into the eyes of the interviewer and respond to questions asked, as it will make them feel that you are confident about yourself and your answers.
4. Maintain a composed body posture:
Your body posture can speak volumes. It is very important to maintain the right body posture. Sit straight, leaning slightly forward. Do not lean backward or bend too much forward. Do not play with the pen or your hair. Do not come to the interview with a chewing gum in your mouth.
5. Answer to the point:
6. Listen carefully:
To answer correctly, you must first listen to what is being asked. If you are not clear about the question, ask the interviewer to repeat the question
Say, I don’t know,’ if you don’t know the answer:
If you are asked a tricky question and you do not know or are not confident about your answer, then say, ‘I am sorry, sir, but I do not know the answer to this question. The interviewers are fine if you don’t know the answer, but would not like to listen to any faulty or wrong answers. If you do not know the answer, it is good idea to tell the interviewer that you can find out the answer. Ask where can you research who can you ask, etc. to find the answer. This is reassuring to the interviewer.
7. Conclude the interview on a positive note:
Thank the interviewer for his/her time. Ask them any further information that you need to know about the company, like their work culture, on-boarding process, etc.
8. Be neatly groomed and dress formally:
You must always maintain personal hygiene. Use a mild deodorant or perfume. Ensure that your mouth doesn’t smell. Neatly comb hair. Men must always shave before attending and interview.
The first impression is the best impression. Therefore, you must dress right for an interview. It gives the interviewer and idea of how serious you are about getting the job as well as your dressing sense. Don’t wear jazzy or bright coloured clothes. Opt for subtle and earthy colours as they are pleasing to the eye. It is not essential for women to wear “western” clothes. Women can wear a sari or salwar Kamez.
Tips on how to dress for the interview:
- You need to dress in formal wear and make sure it is neat and clean. Ironed/pressed shirt or starched saris are recommended
- Men should wear formal pants with a belt and full sleeve shirts with formal dark conservative leather shoes. Well polished shoes are a must.
- If you are wearing a jacket and tie, make sure that the colour matches.
- Girls can wear a suit or a sari. Western clothes are not mandatory except for certain MNC interviews.
- Girls should wear little or no jewellery. Same goes for the boys
- Make sure your hair is combed properly so it doesn’t look untidy. Men should get a haircut. Girls can tie their hair back.
- Men should not use oil on their hair
- You should have well-manicured nails.
- In case you are chewing gum, get rid of it before the interview
- You should wear deodorant or perfume but it should not be too strong.
Author: T. Muralidharan
Name of publication: Telangana Today
Date published on: 19/03/2018
published in: Hyderabad